Nouveaux papiers Ilford FB Multigrade
Bienvenu(e)! Identification Créer un nouveau profil

Recherche avancée

Envoyé par Yann M 
mercredi 4 décembre 2013 18:52:05
Deux nouveautés chez Ilford !
Un multigrade FB Classic destiné à remplacer le MGIV neutre FB qui répondait mal aux virages entre autre.
Un multigrade FB cooltone qui ne se faisait qu'en RC.

Une citation piochée dit de ce Classic :
"Alan Ross in testing the new MULTIGRADE FB CLASSIC and COOLTONE papers said, “Both papers have a similar contrast range to the MGIV FB and exhibit a greater clarity or crispness of image.
Both papers will take a richer tone in selenium than MGIV FB - a real boon.
The toning test was impressive - at 1:23 even a print immersed for 1 minute showed a noticeable change in image color, but my favorite is in the 4' range. A color I could never get with MGIV FB."

Cool !
Bravo Ilford !

YM

Modifié 1 fois. Dernière modification le 04/12/13 18:57 par Yann M.
Re: Nouveaux papiers Ilford FB Multigrade
mercredi 4 décembre 2013 19:07:27
et l'on se demande tout de suite: va-t-il être bon pour le lith ?!
mercredi 4 décembre 2013 19:11:02
Si en plus il pouvait bien répondre au révélateur lith ce serait le ponpon ;-D

Des infos sur la disponibilité ?
mercredi 4 décembre 2013 19:11:27
Arf doublé par Didier !
mercredi 4 décembre 2013 19:14:35
Dispoible chez Silverprint dès à présent et au printemps prochain en France d'après mes lectures.
Le cooltone ne sera disponible qu'en brillant. Le prix sera identique à la version MGIV actuelle.
Concernant le lith, je n'ai rien lu...
Le testeur cité plus haut Alan Ross, est un ancien assistant de Ansel Adams.

YM

Modifié 2 fois. Dernière modification le 04/12/13 19:19 par Yann M.
mercredi 4 décembre 2013 20:11:52
A mon avis ce n'est pas le peine d'y compter: aucun papier de chez Ilford ne lithe correctement, et deuxiemement, les papiers qui lithent le mieux sont les papiers à ton chaud.
Donc là, on a double peine...

Ce qui n'empeche pas que ca peut etre un papier interessant.

Daniel Elbaz écrivait:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Si en plus il pouvait bien répondre au
> révélateur lith ce serait le ponpon ;-D
>
> Des infos sur la disponibilité ?

Aurélien
LABO-ARGENTIQUE.COM
mercredi 4 décembre 2013 20:35:47
Cette nouvelle version du feu MGIV FB offrirait une meilleure netteté, une dmax supérieure, en plus d'une sensibilité aux virages déjà citée plus haut.
C'est donc un produit bien amélioré par rapport à l'ancienne version.

YM
mercredi 4 décembre 2013 20:46:49
effectivement, je viens de lire sur la page FB de Tim Rudman qui l'a essayé, il ne lithe pas... :(
mercredi 4 décembre 2013 21:59:34
Et à part pour l'usage lith , qu'en pense t-il de ce papier pour une utilisation plus courante ?

YM
mercredi 4 décembre 2013 22:05:24
Tous les détails dans sa prochaine newsletter
jeudi 5 décembre 2013 11:55:01
Bonjour,
si vous êtes intéressé par ce papier, vous pouvez me contacter en privé

selsdargent.com , matériels et consommables argentiques
mardi 10 décembre 2013 20:33:19
Les propos de Tim Rudman dans sa nouvelle news letter que je me permets de citer ici :

The hot news this week has got to be the launch of not one but two new Ilford Multigrade FB papers: Multigrade Classic FB to replace Multigrade IV FB, and Multigrade Cooltone FB.

I should perhaps mention here first that I am completely independent and not associated with Ilford or with any other manufacturer and I give my opinon honestly for whatever it is worth, be it postive or negative.
I feel the need to say this here because I cannot help but wax lyrical about the new MG Classic in particular and I fear that otherwise this description would sound too much like an advertisement!

MG Classic
When I was approached to field test the 'proposed new Multigrade IV replacement' back in 2011, I read the rather general description of the changes to be expected and I just had a feeling that I wasn't going to like it. In fact I really love it and much prefer it to MG IV FB in almost every way.

The testing was 'blind' with no tech data, no speed or contrast figures and no curves. I was apprehensive about the alleged slight contrast increase that was mentioned, after all MG IV was launched with much talk of its improved and forgiving response in the highlight range. Was this now going to be compromised by increased contrast perhaps? In fact MG Classic FB prints superbly at the highlight end. Cumulus and cumulonimbus clouds really gleam in a way they just don't on MG IV. The improved sharpness and Dmax - slight but definite - together with the slight mid and upper value contrast boost gives a print than looks both richer and more luminous than the same negative on MG IV.

I found that shadows can tend to block up slightly more easily at mid and upper contrast filtrations, so a little extra printng care is required here. The image tone is slightly warmer than MG IV and the response to direct toning with selenium and/or gold is beautiful. Selenium initially cools the tone but then at 1+9 or stronger prolonged toning gives a deep rich selenium colour with a wonderful boost to the Dmax to create a depth to drown in with low key prints. Gold toner cools the image as expected and duo-toning with these two can give a rich cold image of great depth.

I reported at the time that "The flashing threshold is almost the same as MG IV, but over-threshold fogging darkens progressivley more than MG IV, giving a clue as to the effect it will have on midtones. Highlight tone is pulled in beautifully at 'max flash' needing about 2/10th of a stop reduction in main exposure. The midtone contrast drops at least a grade. Exposing 1 grade harder gave good midtone separation whilst retaining the benefit at the toe. Shadow separation was well preserved this way too". Now that we have the characteristic curves available to inspect this is well explained by the marked difference between those of MG Classic and those of both MGs IV and WT, particularly with MG Classic's long gentle slopes at the lower grade filtrations - see the tech sheets on the Ilford site ( go to 'more info' then use the dropdown tabs).
Paper speed is the same as MG IV. Air dried glossy gives a comparable finish to MG IV. I haven't seen the matt paper.

The lith printers out there will need to look elsewhere for a new lith holy grail I'm afraid. The Ilford coating process is excellent for producing reliable and consistently good quality control, but does not lend itself easily to products with the characteristics required for the convincing infectious development that is required in lith printing. However, MG Classic can produce very attractive 'second pass' lith prints. The lighter tones develop in a soft gentle warm sandy brown and may be allowed to go on to exhibit the MG WT signature split as the highlights gradually turn cold grey. The 'blacks' remain warm rather than cold in tone, giving a nostalgic look. If deep cold blacks are desired, spare the blacks during the bleach stage or fixate them with a short selenium stage before the pre-bleach wash.

Apart from the expected refusal to lith print, my only slight reservation in fact was the fact that the new paper was slightly warmer than MG IV, placing it a little nearer to MG WT in tone and that there was still no FB version of Multigrade Cooltone. However, as we now know, this has since been addressed.

MG Cooltone
This paper did not become available for testing until quite recently. Again a 'blind' assessment.

Cooltone FB is immediately seen to be a different paper to print with, not just cooler in tone. Firstly, it is a faster emulsion, having a paper speed of P590 against Classic's P500. The second obvious difference is in its contrast characteristics, and again this is now clearly shown in the curves, with the long flatish 00 and 0 slopes of MG Classic replaced by much rounder curves. I initially found this made it rather easy to let darker tones slide over into blocked up black unless contrast vs. exposure was accurately matched, which is not a problem providing care is taken. Split grade printing using just the 00 and 5 filters is a good way to pin this down accurately and although it may appear to be slightly long-winded involving 2 test strip stages, it can sometimes prove to be quicker in the long run.

Flashing is effective - again see the curves, but don't forget the increased paper speed and shorter 'toe', so do a proper flash strip. It maybe my style of printing, but I felt immediately at one with Classic and a little less so with Cooltone. The image tone with MG developer is a cool but not blue black (I did not have time to use it with cool tone developers) and a very pleasing range of colour options from blue-black in gold toner to a warm deep selenium brown is easily available on toning. Response to these toners is positive but, typically for a cooltone paper, slower. Strong selenium pays off handsomely as does plenty of patience in direct gold toner, which may need to be very long after the initial freshness has worn off the toning solution.
The air dried glossy surface is significantly more shiny than that of Classic , IV or WT.

To date, I have not experimented with Cooltone FB in lith or second pass lith.

Many darkroom users have wanted a fibre-based version of Cooltone for a long time and so this will be a welcome addition.
mercredi 11 décembre 2013 02:05:54
Merci Yann de ces premières impressions

"The testing was 'blind' with no tech data, no speed or contrast figures and no curves."

Ilford a publié sur son site la "datasheet" de son nouveau papier, et le gourou Rudman aurait pu être du faire des tests sensito .

D’après celle-ci :

- la DMax du papier est toujours aussi faiblarde et ne bouge pas d'un iota par rapport à celle de son prédécesseur, un petit 2 (contre 2.3 sur le Warmtone). C'est une déception (et le gourou un peu trop enthousiaste sur ce coup là.)

- La gamme de contraste se réduit un peu, RN maxi de 50 (comme le WT), au lieu de 40, mais cela reste excellent

-Concrètement pour ceux qui tirent habituellement sur ce papier, pour un tirage fait avec :
- filtre 0, 3, 4 le contraste serait inchangé
- filtre 2 contraste accru d'un poil (1/4 de grade)
- filtre 0, le nouveau papier serait plus contrasté d'un demi-grade
- filtre 1, le tirage serait là tiré plus dur d'un grade
- filtre 5, on perdrait un demi grade

Par contre les temps de pose devraient être inférieurs de 15% à celui de son prédécesseur. En termes de sensibilité
relative, la grosse nouveauté c'est que les filtres 4 et 5 réclameraient une exposition d'un facteur de 1.5 par rapport aux grades 00-3 et non x2, comme c'est traditionnellement le cas.

Reste que ça ne colle pas du tout avec les sensibilités annoncées pour ces deux gradations (grosso modo identiques), donc il y a un petit souci sur ces données. Notons une autre incohérence, entre les sensibilités affichées et les courbes, ces dernières indiquant que le point d'iso densité se trouverait à environ 0.5 (contre 0.6 précédemment), alors que les sensibilités (calculées justement à 0.6 selon la norme ISO) sont affichées comme étant identiques entre 00 et 3.

Sans doute une publication un peu précipitée.

L'analyse spectrale montre aussi des différences certaines, avec deux pics plus marqués dans le bleu et le vert, potentiellement un tirage plus aisé en split grade ?

En tout cas, c'est réellement un nouveau papier et non un ersatz de l'existant.

A vérifier donc au labo, tout ceci bien sûr ne préjugeant en rien des qualités visuelles dudit papier.
mercredi 11 décembre 2013 10:29:50
"The air dried glossy surface is significantly more shiny than that of Classic , IV or WT."

plus brillant que le Warmtone ? ça doit ressembler à du RC brillant alors

selsdargent.com , matériels et consommables argentiques
Seuls les utilisateurs enregistrés peuvent poster des messages dans ce forum.

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter